The role of the Chaplain at Kawungan is to provide pastoral care, support and comfort to students during emotional crisis or difficult times.This can be 1:1 support and encouragement in the classroom, stories, group activities like art and craft and outdoor games during lunch breaks.The Chaplain also assists the guidance Officer in the delivery of various welfare programs for students like 'The friendship club'.
Chaplaincy at Kawungan is funded by the Australain Government under the National School Chaplaincy Program.
Chappy Mel supports students on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Chappie Mel:
- assists the Guidance Officer and school staff in the delivery of student welfare services
- is available to provide guidance on general social and pastoral matters (including values and ethics) for the school community
- is available to provide comfort and support to students, staff and families during times of stress
- liaises with Administration staff, Guidance Officer and individual teachers to identify and support students in need
- takes an individual interest in students in need, building on their strengths and supporting them through difficult issues
- runs social skills training groups for at-risk students
- makes contact with families new to the district to assist them in their orientation in their new community
- strengthens home-school relationships
- is available to contribute to the overall wellbeing of the school and community as the school deems necessary
Who is eligible to receive these services?
All Kawungan students are eligible, and involvement in the program is voluntary. Parents must provide permission before a child is eligible to receive any ongoing one on one from the chaplain (these permission forms are available from the school chaplain, school administration staff and the Guidance Officer). This excludes incidental day to day contact with students involved in school activities.
How can a parent contact the school chaplain?
Parents are more than welcome to contact the school chaplain by phoning the school or by contacting her by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Mel is here to offer assistance to students and their families.
For Chaplaincy support, please print off, complete and return the consent form (PDF, 240KB)